cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant/Maven/Centipede discussion
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:36:26 GMT

Geoff Howard wrote:

> If you havn't read up on the blocks docs on the wiki lately (the last
> two weeks) you really should.  Stefano has put a good series of pages
> up detailing the plan and the current implementation ideas.

Another followup question related to the following note on the wiki:

    * dependencies:
          o the URI(s) of the blocks on which this blocks depends on
            (optional)

I'm thinking about this relative to Avalon Merlin Block dependencies.
Under Merlin a block dependency is implicit - not explicit.  By implicit
I mean that you can establish the dependencies that a blocks has
relative to the computational dependencies that the blocks
implementation exposes.  This means that a deployment system (tool or
container) can resolve dependencies at runtime, using (a) locally
available resources, (b) external repositories, or via more complex
means (roadmap stuff) using (c) a remotely accessible service provider,
or (d) remotely provided serialized block descriptions.

What I have not resolved in my head yet is how the dependency url for
cocoon blocks translate to computational descriptions (or to put this
into Merlin terms, how can I translate a cocoon block uri into
computation service request that could be used in Merlin to return a
serialized Merlin block descriptor)?

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell