cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Building useful release notes (was Re: [GT2003] heads up: Hackathon schedule updated)
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:53:19 GMT
Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> No, because add/update/fix is related to the kind of activity that
> happened, but not to its importance regarding the evolution of the whole
>  Cocoon system.

I saw a problem here. The "importance" can be subjective measure, it
depends of the eye of the observer. For example, Cocoon was born as a
publisher framework, then the target was moved to a webapp framework. But
just changing a definition, does not means that people automatics changes
his minds. I am sure here many people (maybe the most) is using cocoon as
the first definition. I guess this from the discussion on the user mail
list.

Then what is important? Well, maybe this can be defined by how it is
percived by the majority of users or commiters. I agree this can be an
approach (a democratic aproach) to define what is important and what is
not.  Sometimes it fails.

Well, this RT was just to open a little discusion about the topic. :)

> People looking for a particular bug fix are those that can read the
> current kilometer-long release notes. We need a higer-level release note
>  that shows the global direction in which Cocoon is evolving.

Hmm...

If this is true, maybe we does not need a changelog at all. ;-D

I take this as an example. Maybe the important change for someone is a
particular little improvement or enhanced feature. This takes us back to
the above RT.

Sorry, if this is too philosophic. I tend to be one, sometimes. :(

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.