cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Building useful release notes (was Re: [GT2003] heads up: Hackathon schedule updated)
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:37:35 GMT
Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>>> I currently don't have much access except email so can anyone tell me
>>>  whether we have change notes for the new version or where Steve can
>>> find them?
>>

>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html ?
>

> The change list is really too much low-level and hardly readable by
> someone that doesn't follow the dev list every day.
>
> We could classify changes with a new attibute
> importance="minor|medium|major" so that we can build usable release
> notes automatically. Of course, the changes going in the release notes
> will have to be in "clear" text in order to be understood by the
> majority of people with average Cocoon knowledge.
>
> Something that's needed also is categorizing the changes to easily
> identify the area of Cocoon where a change occured. A simple way to
> achieve that would be for each block to have it's own status.xml file
> (this will be needed anyway when blocks will have their own CVS repo).
>
> With these two simple categorization criteria, building some useful
> release notes will become really easy.
>
> What do you think ?

Yes in general. But all the changes are important, sometimes somebody is
looking for a very simple fix that for him it is the most important.

I also read the link above. I think we really need a better release notice
with a changelog. :)

[RT] We already have a clasification: add, update, fix.

Maybe we does not need to introduce a new clasification. We can show
change in the follwing order: Add, updates, fixes.

If we add a new clasification (current + proposed), it will add
complexity. We will have at the end 3x3 categories of bugs. That is not a
good idea.

My proposal is to create a change autogenerated based in the current
categories.

Is that OK?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.