cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:11:38 GMT

On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 23:41 Europe/Rome, Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is probably a minor and implementation detail but I when I see the
> examples of datatypes being giving I was wondering if you were taking
> into
> consideration of XML Schema datatypes (and therefore RNG datatypes,
> though I
> don't understand the desire of clearly object oriented-type people
> using
> RNG). Some of the examples I have seen do not conform to the structures
> allowed.
>
> For example, unique IDs cannot start with a number, but all examples
> of IDs
> have been strictly numerical. Also the date below:
>
> http://host/path/id!date=20031015
>
> does not conform to ISO 8601.

hmmm, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html, says

<quote>
part from the recommended primary standard notation YYYY-MM-DD, ISO
8601 also specifies a number of alternative formats for use in
applications with special requirements. All of these alternatives can
easily and automatically be distinguished from each other:

The hyphens can be omitted if compactness of the representation is more
important than human readability, for example as in

19950204
</quote>

> Am I just being to nit-picky or is this something that simply has no
> value
> here?

but I agree: if we can, reusing datatypes from other standards is a
good thing (might well give us code to reuse for parsing already
implemented in other projects!)

--
Stefano.