cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject RE: getxml in XSP throws NPE if @path is invalid
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:30:48 GMT
Tuomo L dijo:
> Here's the line of code, that gives the error (No error, if
> /authentication/data/bar/ is actually available. The "data" section is
> created dynamically for every user, so "bar" is not always there and
> error happens)
>
> String foo = <xsp-session-fw:getxml context="authentication"
>              path="/authentication/data/bar"/>;

Hi Tuomo:

There is another attribute that can help you:

as="string" (default) - returns the value of the given path as a String.

as="object" returns the value of the given path as an Object
(org.w3c.dom.DocumentFragment).

as="xml" returns the value of the given path as an
org.w3c.dom.DocumentFragment. The root of the DocumentFragment is
<xsp-session-fw:xml>.

Are you tried this attribute? Maybe it can helps you.

The idea of the default as="string" is to let you add easily inside your
XSP some strings. We are using to show the user name in a welcome page.
Example:

      path="/authentication/data/full_name"/>, welcome back to the System</p>

Of course in this example the @path always exists, so we don't need to
test if the @path exists in the given session context.

So, I recommend you use as="object", get the object and if the object is
null, then there is nothing. Else the path exists so you can get the
string.

Please comment if this works for you. I am not sure if this will work,
since Carsten did changes in the Helperclass in order to helps you.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.