cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Forrest docs in old format.
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:29:45 GMT
Upayavira dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>David Crossley dijo:

>>>Perhaps we can solve this dilemma by avoiding it. We could
>>>remove the docs generation stuff from the webapp. If people
>>>want to do live docs, then they could install Forrest and
>>>'forrest run' on another port. We already ask them to install
>>>Forrest if they want to 'build docs'.
>>
>>+1
>>
>>That way we will don't worry about the forrest version inside cocoon.
>> And will can also remove it at all.
>>
>>I am also aware about the upayavira comment. I think the idea is not to
>> remove the docs from Cocoon, just allow to generate using an external
>> forrest dist.
>>
> Are you saying that, in order to access the docs by doing cocoon servlet
>  then http://localhost:8888/docs/ would access a local Forrest dist,
> rather than the Cocoon dist itself, but would use the local Cocoon? That
>  could work. It would need a suitable "to see the docs, download
> Forrest"  message.
>
> But you know what that would mean? I would actually, after all this
> time, actually have to download Forrest!

Maybe yes or not...

One solution can be test if forrest is installed:

if (forrest != installed) {
  <map:redirect to uri="the official website">
}

I understand the problem. But maybe removing forrest from the distribution
is a good start.

Another solution can be:

1-Before releasing, generate all the cocoon docs with forrest.
2-Zip all the generated docs.
3-Make a sitemap for docs that read directly from the zip file?

Is that ok? or this will increase the size of the distribution?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo