cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:45:15 GMT

On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 21:22 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> If this means "shielding" users from the need of having a block, I
> completely rest my case. But we need to have backward compatibility to
> what we have now: unpack war (or go to build/webapp) and work from
> there. Anything more complicated, no matter what the advantages are,
> would just be overkill to the average user.

Let me start saying that 'usability of the system during development'
is a top priority and must work with blocks as well. The use of a
blockpath is an idea, but there could be others on the table.

Anyway, the concern of "make it simple for developers" is (and has
always been) a top priority for me. This is a different concern in
whether we want inheritance to happen at the sitemap level or at the
block level.

Sylvain and I say that it should be at the block level, you say it
should be at the sitemap level.

Note: the above does *NOT* have anything to do with regular WAR-style
deployment. Once blocks are deployed, you can repack everything in a
war file and use that. so blocks or sitemap nothing changes.

there are two big advantages in block-level that are missed at sitemap
level:

  1) transparent versioning
  2) solid isolation

Everybody knows that composition should be favored over inheritance.

Make it *easy* for people to abuse something, and they will. massively.

actions, resources, and now inheritance. I fear abuse.

Blocks are an obstacle, yes, but a little one and one that forces
people to think.

I know you can't force people to think. but if you are a cocoon user
you are used to be guided a little bit. perl users, for example,
wouldn't like cocoon because it's too rigid.

I don't want to make it any more rigid, but I don't want to make it any
more loose either, this is why inheritance should go along with a
compositional design, not otherwise.

but I understand this is a subjective thing, so, we might want to hear
other bells on this.

--
Stefano.