cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Track feature requests in bugzilla?
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 05:39:54 GMT
Le Vendredi, 10 oct 2003, à 00:26 Europe/Zurich, Torsten Curdt a écrit :

> <snip/>
>
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>>
>>> If there is no real alternative to bugzilla, we should use it.
>> Ah, BTW, Scarab *is* better than bugzilla and stable enough for
>> use... I just heard it's a pain to migrate stuff from bugzilla.
>
> any project that has already been going down that road?
> maybe we could borrow scripts etc...

On the scarab front page they say that it supports XML importing.
Exporting our current bugzilla stuff to XML is not hard (with Cocoon
for example ;-)

>>> Another issue is the configuration of bugzilla itself. Isn't it
>>> customizable? Furthermore more recent versions offer more options.
>
> I bet ...but doesn't Bertrand know? :)

Newer versions of bugzilla use HTML templates which can make it look
much nicer if that's the problem. I think it is part of the problem if
we're going to make more serious use of bugzilla, there's no excuse for
looking bad on the web today.

Also, the query form in 2.16 has a better layout which helps a lot when
you start using it.

Finally, saved queries help a lot, you can create the 4-5 queries that
you need regularly and then mostly forget about the query page.
I don't know if they exist in the 2.14.2 version that we're using, but
if they are they seem to be disabled (Pier?).

An easy workaround if saved queries cannot be enabled for some reason
is to create more links like the "patch queue" and "open bugs" links
that we have on the web and wiki. "What happened in the last X days"
and "what's unassigned" come to mind and are easy to do.

But I agree with Andrew and Jeff that the current bugzilla works - it
might not be pretty (it is ugly actually), and is lacking in ways of
classifying issue types, but it does the job if one is willing to use
it.

I'm not sure about switching to another tracking system. The "new toy"
syndrom could help people make more use of it, OTOH if people are not
willing to use it they will not and we will only have wasted time. A
bugzilla upgrade might be good though.

My suggestion would be to stay with bugzilla until the next 1-2
FirstFridays at least  and see how we do. Until then, have a vote on
where we want to track feature requests, bugzilla or wiki will both
work for these IMHO, this is not such a big deal.

Ciao,
Bertrand