cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Kohlhaas <christop...@einfachanders.de>
Subject Re: Avalon+XSLT+Mozilla = The Wobzilla-editor
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:59:41 GMT
I posted to cocoon-dev because wobzilla needs a backend to further
evolve. If there is interest in the cocoon community, I would like to
develop wobzilla in that direction, and I wanted to ask the cocoon
communtity if wobzilla should be

a) a cocoon-block
b) a part of lenya (should I post to lenya?)
c) a separate sub-project of cocoon
d) outside of apache as a separate sourceforge project
  (wouldn't get much attention, because its incomplete without a backend)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:10:59PM -0400, Javier del Gesu wrote:
> Your online demo is jaw-dropper, but to get rich functionality, you
> will probably have to package your application as an XPI with
> permissions to do all the naughty things the browser won't permit.

Like drag and drop your data from excel. Yes, but I want to avoid this
step as long as possible, and first do all the things the browser
permits. But sooner or later there will be components that demand for
more permissions.

> The application I am developing is similiar to yours, except that it
> deploys Cocoon on the client side. Syncrhonization of documents with
> the server and generation of the documents for display in Mozilla is
> very simple with Cocoon/Java. This comes from much experience with
> XPCOM and JavaScript. Java is more robust, easier to test, easier to
> deploy. Components can move from client to server or vice versa as
> performance dictates. Same with XML and XSLT.

Is it OS? Do you already have any protypes?  I'm especially interested
in the backend parts. How do you perform the mapping with a database?

> Do you know of any similiar projects out there? Who else is creating
> a Mozilla based "e-forms" application?

I know only three other aproches

http://bitfluxeditor.org/
http://mozile.mozdev.org/