cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:13:43 GMT
Hi,

Wasn't this all a conversation from a couple of years ago? It is good to see
opinions change...

First, forrest's site.xml should change the element names to something
generic, like:

<site label="My Site">
  <page id="p34568656" label="Nico Page" url="newnicepage.html"/>
</site>

So the site.xml can be validated. In its current state a custom schema would
be required for each site.xml instance -- just doesn't make sense. The
element names are currently being used as identifiers. Why not simply make
them valid IDs?

Also, much more site/folder/page metadata can be applied to nodes to trigger
certain things in a transformation.

Next, why wouldn't you recommend using the site.xml as the site structure?
The site.xml should be a *virtual* representation of the site. This way
(with a validatable site.xml) it is easy to build a tool (in javascript)
that can manipulate it.

The static site gets generated from the site.xml using the site.xml as a
main Source xml for a transformation. This way all nav and content links can
*always* be valid base on the virtual representation.

Best,
-Rob