cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: EffectTransformer/WoodyTemplateTransformer
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:44:40 GMT
On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 22:31, Timothy Larson wrote:
> Attn: Bruno, Sylvain, and anyone else working with Woody.
>
> Would you take a look at the WoodyTemplateTransformer attached to:
>   http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=TimLarson
> and let me know if it is suitable to replace the current class?
>
> If it is acceptable, I plan to post my union widget patches based
> on the new transformer design.  Otherwise, I will try to work out
> another solution that we can all like.

Finally found some time to look at it, sorry for the delay.

I think conceptually it is great, basically the handlers only need to
know how to handle the children of the current element, which makes the
code more readable and more OO.

The disadvantage of it all is that a lot of additional objects are
created: for each element a Handler is created,  and an Element object,
containing an AttributesImpl into which the existing attributes are
copied, etc. This will give the garbage collector some more work and
slow down the transformation a bit. I don't know if this is something we
still need to take into account nowadays... (pages containing forms
typically won't be very large anyway I guess)

I'd say that for the current functionality it's not really necessary to
change, but I guess it might become useful for any new features you're
planning to add.