cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Woody] Purpose of DynamicSelectionList.SelectionListHandler
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:34:40 GMT
On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 22:29, Ugo Cei wrote:
> To all Woddy gurus out there: what is the purpose of the
> DynamicSelectionList.SelectionListHandler class? Why doesn't
> DynamicSelectionList just spit out the SAX events generated from its
> source. What conversions do take place there?

conversion from how things were formatted where the list data was
retrieved from to how it should be formatted so that the widget will
recognize it upon form submit.

For example, suppose you retrieve a list of dates which are formatted
like yyyyMMdd but the format towards the user is dd/MM/yyyy, then this
conversion is needed. (there's an example of this in the Woody samples)

Obviously this is only needed for non-string datatypes.

> I'm asking because I'm writing a new type of SelectionList, one that
> fetches list items from the context object, and I was wondering whether
> I should do the same kind of post-processing or not.

If you want to support non-string types, yes.