cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Cocoon news feed?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:58:10 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> David Crossley a écrit :
>
> > ...Gee, i am not sure what you are talking about Steven.
> > Why do you think that a "blogging tool" is needed to do a simple
> > publishing of news snippets? And why do you think that it needs to
> > be a live webapp? We can still get prompt publishing using the
> > current Forrest CLI generation of Cocoon xdocs....
>
> Let me outline my thoughts about what I think we need (are these
> concerns shared by the way?)

Yes.

> -Publish more-or-less-weekly news about Cocoon, write something even if
> it's to say "not much happened", to keep in touch with other projects,
> users, etc.

Good idea.

> -A very easy way for committers to publish news. I know Forrest
> generation is easy, but how does the complete cycle look, from "writing
> two lines of news" to "published in the RSS feed"? Just to clarify,
> assuming only the news.xml file is modified.

1) Any committer edits say news.xml, validates, and commits.
1b) Relevant patches can also be accepted from others.
2) To manually publish it, say once per week, one of the committers
(and not necessarily those that added the news snippets) runs
'forrest' and commits the result to the cocoon-site module. They then
follow the rest of the Wiki page CocoonWebsiteUpdate.

Actually step 2 should be automated by the 'forrestbot', as Upayavira
just said. I am not too sure that it is doing it at the moment. Last
time that i tweaked the current news.html i had to do it manually.

> > ..http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html
> > Already has an RSS version...
>
> Cool - then we'd only need to enable this for news.xml as well, and
> make a prominent link to it on the front page.

Yep.

> I volunteer to do the necessary changes if needed (but not right now,
> very busy - say beginning of November).

You may get a pleasant surprise on your return.

--David