cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:02:31 GMT
On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 20:53, Robert Koberg wrote:
<snip/>
> I currently call these in transformation using the document function.
> Recently, I have been playing around with a XincludeFilter that does this
> prior to transformation (I assume this is the route you would take :). It is
> just that it is proving to be slower and more memory intensive for some
> reason (I am probably doing wrong...).

Assuming you're using XPaths on the included documents, that's quite
normal: the XIncludeTransformer has to build a (heavy) DOM-tree of the
document and pass it to a generic XPathProcessor implementation, by
default based on Xalan, which will need to compile the XPath expression
and create a DOM-to-DTM layer around the document. Xalan on the other
hand (or Saxon for that matter) directly builds its own optimized 'DTM'.
XSLT also allows you to put the document loaded with the document
function in a variable so that multiple XPaths can be evaluated upon it
without reloading the document each time.