cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest and the NDS (Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system)
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:51:24 GMT

Le Dimanche, 12 oct 2003, à 12:40 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 04:23 Europe/Rome, Jeff Turner wrote:
>> :)  Let's remember that there's hard reuse and soft reuse.  Hard reuse
>> means physically integrating with Forrest/Lenya.  Soft reuse means
>> reusing ideas, people, and code where appropriate.  For a new project
>> in
>> RT phase, worrying about hard reuse with Forrest and Lenya would IMHO
>> just slow things down.
>
> I agree: try to come up with a system that runs first and *after* try
> to merge the results and possible changes back in the original
> systems. This reduces the potential community friction when changes
> require some little paradigm shifts.

How about creating an "nds" (or "learningtrove") block and work more or
less as I outlined in the original message:

-copy all existing docs to a single directory, "big bag of docs", in
this new block
-rename docs as needed to give them permanent names (=numeric IDs)
-create a very simple publishing system for now
-start building the navigations, trails, tables of contents
incrementally
-if the docs format changes for the new doc management system,
navigation definitions stay valid

I like the idea of temporarily forgetting about Forrest and Lenya: a
simple prototype with minimal constaints would help this move forward,
and we can later backport the good ideas where they belong.

-Bertrand