cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Overview of Treebuilder/Sitemap Builder?
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:31:17 GMT

On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 19:46 Europe/Rome, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 20:36 Europe/Rome, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a logical view of how the Treebuilder is supposed to
>>> work?  It would definitely help me in refactoring things.  As it is
>>> now, the Treebuilder is tightly integrated with the ECM, so it is
>>> something that won't work right away...  I am just trying to get to
>>> a place where I can compile 2.2 so that my testcases will run and I
>>> can verify what I am doing works.
>>

>> Sylvain knows this and, AFAIK, he's one of the few (only?) that does.
>>
>> Which is also something that I'm particularely comfortable with, even
>> if this is not clearly Sylvain's fault if what he writes works as
>> expected and nobody has to go there and fix it ;-)
>

> [I guess you meant "I'm *not* particularely comfortable with"]

yeah :-)

> Erm... How should I understand that? Is this an invitation to write
> buggy code to force others to jump in?

well, why not?

> Well... community-wise, this is an interesting approach, and I even
> remember that you used it with the build system. I should give it a
> try ;-P

I used it many more places than the build system over the years.
Sometimes I left easy-to-fix bugs on purpose so that people would find
them and be confortable with the code... of course, not too many ;-)

[but you'll never know if this is true, or I'm just a lousy programmer
with a lot of inventive in covering his ass ;-)]

>> But a description of the internals of the tree processor would be
>> helpful not only for migration for also for future reference
>> (refactor? cleanup? profile? whatever)
>
> Sure. See my answer to Daniel's post for an in-depth explanation.

thanks. hopefully somebody will blog this... hint hint ;-)

> =--
Stefano.