cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest and the NDS
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:26:03 GMT

On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 14:31 Europe/Rome, Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:40:39PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> In case something is not clear, I'll be very happy to explain it.
>
> My main question is: to users, how is this system functionally
> different
> from a Wiki?

for editing, you will get a three-pane editor:

  - wysiwig
  - xhtml source
  - wiki source

and you can switch between one and another, depending on what you like
the most (or what type of content you have to cut/paste from outside
the editor)

> Eg, a good one that has 'related pages' inferred from the
> page's content:
>
> http://wiki.opensymphony.com/space/WebWork+2+Components

Yes, SnipSnap. I had some private email conversation with the guys at
Fraunhofer, at some point they wanted to use cocoon for it (IIRC) but
they decided it was too complex for their needs.

The ideas are very similar, in fact.

What I dislike is the weblog-ish appearence... from a navigational
perspective, it's too hyperlinked for my own taste, a documentation
system should help me go thru, it should guide me, not give me tons of
potential choices and make me choose all the time.

both wikis and weblogs tend to lack a navigation system. it's basically
what allowed them to grow exponentially. but we need to find a way to
distill some structure and guide our readers... but without limiting
the power of expressiveness of an unstructured collection of notes.

> And a naive question: wouldn't Subversion be a better backend than this
> JSR170 thing?  Then developers could store xdocs in the same repository
> as code, and could check in updates with standard svn tools (including
> IDEs).

the goal is to have the backend so friendly that you'd never use the
repository directly anyway.

but as I said, a webdav repository is the best choice for now (and
subversion is a good choice for that); we can move on JSR 170 would the
need emerge (I think it will, but I can't predict when)

--
Stefano.