cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinhard.po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: Forrest and the NDS (Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system)
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:41:26 GMT

From: Alan Gutierrez

> * Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org> [2003-10-12 14:06]:
>
> > Stefano envisions a system where it is very easy to edit
> content using
> > a WYSIWIG editor (no structured text, no strange XML) for
> *everybody*
> > by simply clicking on an 'edit' button - without having
> installed any
> > unknown software - and to the changes right at the moment when you
> > spot e.g. a spelling mistake. A Cocoon committer has to confirm the
> > changes or additions and then the new stuff is published
> > (mini-workflow).
> >
> > After a non-committer has provided e.g. 3 substantial
> patches to our
> > documentation or new documents he can get the status of a doc
> > committer and can publish directly without the confirmation of a
> > Cocoon CVS committer.
> >
> > With this simple system we can use the power of Wiki (everybody
> > becomes a doc author) and combine this with our requirement that we
> > *must* have a backend repository where we store our content
> in order
> > to be able to re-publish our website at every time.
>
> The trouble with Wiki and docs is that new users, such as
> myself,

Thank you! It is very appreciated to get feedback from new users!

> are going to look for a documentation outline. A good
> TOC and index makes all the differnece in the world when
> searching documentation. Has anyone discussed how to impose
> an outline on a Wiki?

In order to navigate through the many documents (Stefano calls them
'learning objects') in a plain structure which a Wiki-like system
provides there will be special documents which are tracks through the
forest of documents (e.g. How to setup Cocoon?, Write your first sitemap
component, ...).

Reinhard