cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Forrest and the NDS (Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system)
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:05:54 GMT

From: Jeff Turner

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:40:39PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote: ...
> > In case something is not clear, I'll be very happy to explain it.
>
> My main question is: to users, how is this system
> functionally different from a Wiki?  Eg, a good one that has
> 'related pages' inferred from the page's content:
>
> http://wiki.opensymphony.com/space/WebWork+2+Components
>
> And a naive question: wouldn't Subversion be a better backend
> than this JSR170 thing?

JSR170 is the draft to come up with *one* API for all repositories. This
makes sense from a technical point of view but also it will be the first
time that we all have a common understanding what a repository is (where
does it start? where does it end?)

Back to your question: IMHO Subversion would be a good choice to be the
backend but behind a JSR170-API layer. (see
http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/events/gt2003/presentations/17-cocoon-
webdav.pdf)

> Then developers could store xdocs in
> the same repository as code, and could check in updates with
> standard svn tools (including IDEs).

Wiki lowered the barrier to become editor and to contribute to a project
and people love to use it. Also many committers (including myself) like
it more to write a new text at the Wiki than to edit XML for our
'official' docu.

Stefano envisions a system where it is very easy to edit content using a
WYSIWIG editor (no structured text, no strange XML) for *everybody* by
simply clicking on an 'edit' button - without having installed any
unknown software - and to the changes right at the moment when you spot
e.g. a spelling mistake. A Cocoon committer has to confirm the changes
or additions and then the new stuff is published (mini-workflow).

After a non-committer has provided e.g. 3 substantial patches to our
documentation or new documents he can get the status of a doc committer
and can publish directly without the confirmation of a Cocoon CVS
committer.

With this simple system we can use the power of Wiki (everybody becomes
a doc author) and combine this with our requirement that we *must* have
a backend repository where we store our content in order to be able to
re-publish our website at every time.

Reinhard