cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate from the aging ECM
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 06:15:31 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote, On 02/09/2003 19.11:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>> Could someone (Berin?) give an estimate of what the "damage" would be
>> even if we agree it's a good move?
>

> Risk Assessment and Mitigation Strategy:
>
> 1) Legacy Components.  All legacy components are handled as expected with
>    Fortress as long as the components do not expect ECM itself.  In 99% of
>    the cases this is what happens.
>
> 2) LogKitManageable.  We can create a Lifecycle extension to handle this
> one,
>    but for future reference, this is best handled via a ServiceManager
> lookup.
>    Fortress natively uses the LoggerManager, so we get the migration from
>    forced LogKit integration for free.
>
> 3) Configuration file format is slightly different.  We can create an
> adaptor
>    to handle the transition (extending the DefaultContainer from Fortress).
>
> 4) Components/special selectors that extend ECM directly.  There is no real
>    work around for this.  Those components have to be altered.  To my
> knowledge,
>    this includes the GeneratorSelector and the SiteMapSelector, and
> possibly the
>    SiteMap implementation as well as the central Cocoon object.  As to
> third
>    party components, the old ECM libraries would have to be included in a
>    compatibility JAR set.
>
> There is nothing (too my knowlege) that cannot be worked around to
> provide a
> seemless integration.  What do you all think?

I think that this will bring Cocoon one step ahead by removing some
wrong dependencies it has with the implementation (ECM) and changing
them with new more standard and future-compatible contracts.

The "change" is not insignificant, but the "damage" seems very slight
for non-core Cocoon developers.

+1 for 2.2 switching to Fortress

             - verba volant, scripta manent -