cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject [Vote] Build infrastructure (was: on better release and version management)
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:04:05 GMT
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> On Thursday, Sep 25, 2003, at 10:47 Europe/Rome, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Berin Loritsch wrote:

<snipped>discussion on build infrastructure</snipped>

> >> We tried to have a unified build system with ANT, and all excalibur
> >> projects
> >> re-using part of the central build file, etc.  NIGHTMARE CITY.
> >>
> >> Contrast that with the parts that were ported over to use Maven, or
> >> the GUIApp
> >> project (http://d-haven.org).  A world of difference.  No longer is
> >> there any
> >> question about what is needed where.  No longer is there a need to
> >> have JARs
> >> locally in the repository.  No longer is there a need to have a 13 MB
> >> download
> >> for a full distributable.  Not to mention, it makes it easier to find
> >> out what
> >> exactly is a dependency and what is dead weight.
> >
> > seconded!
>
> are you (or Berin) volunteering? [again, not caustic, just curious]

Well, as my time permits it and Berin could give a hand as well, why
not.

But first we need to come to a consensus about which build
infrastructure we would support to use:

1) Ant
     in this case we can use the current build system and tune it to the
     needs we have for the 2.2 and maybe add some ruper task to get rid
     of jars in our repository (suggested by Nicola Ken IIRC) and some
     more for modularisation ease

2) Centipede
     in this case I could not volunteer as I'm out of Centipede since
     their move from Cents to Antlibs (we still have some customer
     project using a Cents based version of it but they will never move
     to Antlibs)

3) Maven
     ATM this is my preferred build infrastructure and I could help
     building the 2.2 repo based on it

Please show your preferences (if you don't have a clue about Maven
and/or Centipede have a look at their sites at http://maven.apache.org
and http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/ respectively)

--
Giacomo Pati