cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:41:01 GMT
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 16:23 Europe/Rome, Giacomo Pati wrote:

<SNIP/>

> I agree with you that even a 'naked cocoon' (a cocoon with no
> functional blocks) can be further modularized, even if I personally
> don't resonate with the modularization that you propose above.

Could you explain why you don't resonate? Is it that you fear
complexity?

We're used to Centipede and Maven for some project we've done recently
and our experience is that indeed a modularisation as I've proposed is
quite complex with bare Ant as building tool but tools like Maven and
Centipede are very helpfull for these kinda projects. We just need to
make the step beyond Ant.

> I think that we should *NOT* try to bite more than we can chew for 2.2,
> let's avoid doing everything in one huge step or this will take us
> another 18 months to release 2.2 and this is going to hurt us badly.

ET ;-)

> I would simply suggest to:
>
>   1) start cocoon-2.2 with code and existing build system. No blocks, no
> documentation.

If you suggest starting with just more or less core code why not move to
another build system we can build a modularized system upon?

>   2) remove fake block machinery from the build system of 2.2

Again, choosing another build system will help here as well.

>   3) implements real block in 2.2

I assume you mean 'real block infrastructure'.

--
Giacomo Pati