cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Ramsdale" <jefe...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: Future build (was RE: [Vote] Releasing 2.1.1)
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:06:11 GMT
> > Asking a user to download and install another software
> > package is out of the question. They have perfectly capable
> > .zip functionality already on their system. We provide a .zip
> > file for the latest distribution, why night the nightly snapshot?
>
> It seems to me that if a user is sophisticated enough to realize that
> they really need the nightly snapshot for some obscure reason they are
> sophisticated enough to download the appropriate unzip utility.  After
> all they figured out how to download Cocoon, install it and determine
> they need something more.

It's not a matter of sophistication. It's a matter of easing the user's
entry into developing with Cocoon. It's inconsistent to offer a .zip for one
download and not for another.

> If you really think it's necessary we could place links to the necessary
> unzip tools on the download pages...

I just don't understand the resistence to adding .zip downloads. Can someone
tell me why we don't do it? I'm not looking for alternative suggestions!

I once downloaded a .zip utility for my Windows ME machine for an additional
feature it offered over the native .zip handling. While it did what I needed
it really wasn't as convenient--there are some nice features to Microsoft's
.zip integration in Windows. So I uninstalled the package. But meanwhile
Windows lost all the nice handling of .zips it used to have. It took some
poking around and a not-obvious series of steps to turn it back on. I can
imagine another newbie doing the same thing just to download and install a
Cocoon nightly build when all of this would have been mitigated by a
pre-packaged .zip download that we provide for a regular release anyway.

Jeff