cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Ramsdale" <jefe...@earthlink.net>
Subject Future build (was RE: [Vote] Releasing 2.1.1)
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:42:12 GMT
> > IMHO, it's simply unworkable to have major stuff going on in one module,
> > over two branches, at the same time.
>
> In CVS, I've always found branches == pain.
>
> I appreciate a move to something like subversion is quite a revolution,
> and I'd suggest it's something best kept for the next "revolution" in
> Cocoon (like the jump from 1.x to 2.x).
>
> But I'd really like to see a 2.2 module created now. Should we put it to a
> vote?
>
> Oh, and I'm +1 on 2.1.1 on Friday.
>

> Andrew.

Given the recent user complaints about having to build Cocoon from source we
should be careful how Subversion is introduced into the equation (assuming,
as is likely, this happens at some point). I imagine something like this
happening:

newbie: "How do I install Cocoon?"
helpful developer: "Download from the web page and build from source."
newbie: "*grumble* *grumble*"

a couple days later...

newbie: "How do I do X with Cocoon?"
helpful developer: "You'll need the latest development version for that."
newbie: "How do I get that?"
helpful developer: "First you need to install a Subversion client..."

I don't have a solution, I'm just trying to tie together the discussions of
releases, Subversion, and building from source, so that the dev gang is
thinking about it.

If all the cool features that users want to play with are in the HEAD via
Subversion, you might think about easing the path to entry for the new
user...

Jeff