cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:46:49 GMT
Le Mardi, 23 sep 2003, à 14:33 Europe/Zurich, Nicola Ken Barozzi a
écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le Mardi, 23 sep 2003, à 14:26 Europe/Zurich, Nicola Ken Barozzi a
>> écrit :
>>> ...And maybe also use a low-tech way of adding a
>>> WARNING_BETA_BLOCK.txt or WARNING_SCRATCHPAD_BLOCK.txt file in the
>>> block source dir to make it clear to CVS browsers and coders of the
>>> status of the code.
>> Or rather an XML block description file?
>> The upcoming block descriptor could include meta-information relating
>> to the block's "stamping" status.
>
> The problem I see with having only a descriptor is that one hat to
> open the file to see the status, and few will do, as the current
> situation shows.
>
> That's why a file with a descriptive name can initially alert users
> better...

Why not, I see your point.

But I also think blocks "quality descriptors" need to move beyond just
"marked alpha", to more precise descriptions of how
mature/usable/certified a block is.

This info should also be used by the block deployer for warnings when
installing non-certified, alpha or unstable blocks.

-Bertrand