cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:02:10 GMT

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 08:46 PM, Timothy Larson wrote:

>> Which solution should I select : Woody or JXForms? FOP or iText? Just
>> look
>> at the activity to determine the health of a module/block.
>
> Exactly.  Of course, no measure is going to be perfect, but something
> like
> this could help.  Votes could be used to set the values for the
> released
> and the live meta-info.  This would express the intent of the
> community.
> The automatic community data-mining would go hand-in-hand with this to
> give
> a live view of the actual, realized level of community development and
> support.

This could end up getting divisive, as Stefano suggested before.

In some cases it is a matter of taste, not capability.

For instance, (ignoring the fact Woody is currently going through major
review) the choice between say JXForms and Woody is one of which
paradigm you prefer, not which one is 'better', because they are both
perfectly capable of doing the job well.

I am not sure that 'activity' in itself is an accurate metric. Woody
may look more 'active' but that would be because JXForms does not have
much work left to do on it.

regards Jeremy