cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: WebDAV proxy available
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:59:59 GMT
Le Lundi, 1 sep 2003, à 21:06 Europe/Zurich, Guido Casper a écrit :
> ...I don't understand. PUT doesn't carry any meta data (not
> explicitely).
> Do you mean PROPPATCH?

No, but if you want to index the dead properties as well as live ones,
you need to intercept PUT and either read the dead props from the
backend to index them or recreate them locally.

> ...Why holding the meta data redundant at all? The meta data is already
> there (on the WebDAV server, even if not DASL enabled). You just need
> to find a way to index afterwards.

"Afterwards" will not be suitable for all purposes, in most cases you
want the index to be updated right away, if possible in the same
transaction used to store the content (but this might be hard to do).

> ...A SQL DB would be nice to store and index a certain set of
> predefined
> properties but it falls short if you have any abitrary user-defined
> properties (as is the case with WebDAV)....

Storing properties in a table with PROP_NAME and PROP_VALUE rows, for
example, allows for arbitrary user-defined properties (unless you want
to store widely varying data types, but I don't know if WebDAV has a
concept of data types for properties).

> ...When I first heard about the idea for using Cocoon as a DASL
> indexing
> engine I immediately thought about using Lucene for this....

Sounds interesting, but will Lucene allow efficient index updates on
every PUT/PROPPATCH and similar operations, or do you have to defer
indexing for later?

> ...The challenging part is to create another SearchGenerator that
> parses
> the DASL query, although it shouldn't be too hard to at least cover a
> basic DASL subset....

Yes, and even a custom DASL search language would be useful already,
even if the basicsearch stuff is not implemented at first.

> ...Does this make sense?

It sure does - I'm just worried about how well Lucene compares to a
database in terms of storing large quantities of data.

-Bertrand