cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Proposal a new OJB block
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:18:13 GMT

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 10:52 Europe/Rome, Upayavira wrote:

> Nicolas Toper wrote:
>
>> why don't we use hibernate?
>>
> Because it is LGPLd, and we cannot have LGPL code in our CVS
> repository.
>
> Someone did mention getting the hibernate guys to change their
> licence, and IIRC suggested that they were prepared to do so. If
> someone did get them to adopt a BSD style licence, we would be able to
> include it in a 'persistence' block, which would be great.

or a hybernate-based implementation of a 'persistent' block behavior
can be developped and distributed from another site (cocoondev.org
comes to mind).

the block deployer will need to have the ability to connect to multiple
block librarians. (one, the official, will be on
http://cocoon.apache.org/blocks/) but there could exist more and
http://www.cocoondev.org/blocks/ might be another one, distributing
components that are not compatible with the distribution policies of
the ASF.

Note that the *GPL is reciprocal (aka viral) only when we are talking
about 'redistribution'. if the user doesn't redistribute, he is
perfectly fine in mixing and matching BSD and GPL code because their
incompatibility emerges only as "combined redistribution".

I expect very few users to use block deployment to create something
that they later have the need to redistribute combined.

--
Stefano.