cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OXF rebuttal (was: Re: Interesting comparison)
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:43:08 GMT

On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 12:17 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino
wrote:

[snipped rebuttal]

> Cocoon strong points
> ====================
> OXF doesn't mention a few Cocoon strong points.

> I would like to see at a very least:
>
> - Views;
> - Pluggable URL-like extensions (the Source interface);
> - WebDAV support, as client (stable), server (partial) and proxy
> (development);
> - XML:DB support;
> - SAP R/3 connectivity;
> - Scheduler components;
> - Velocity support;
> - Python (Jython) and generic BSF support;
> - PHP support;

this hasn't worked for a while [besides, nobody cares]

> - Lucene integration;
> - Text to XML conversion using generated grammars (chaperon);
>
> That's it for now, but I've sure left out something. I hope that
> Orbeon is willing to talk about their feature matrix in order to give
> a reasonable, fair and useful comparison tool to their potential
> customers.

Entering a marketing pissing contest would just show that we think we
need to rebut their comments.

I personally think we don't.

They can throw all the FUD they want on us, but, doing so, they will
just show their customers that such a free and open source solution
exists (and maybe they didn't know).

bad publicity is still publicity. And lies fire back.

They do a much better marketing service for us if they keep up that
lame page ;-)

again, non-linear marketing at work.

[oh, look, they support Java Server Faces.... (sound of Stefano puking)]

--
Stefano.