cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject docs disruption (was: on better release and version management)
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:04:56 GMT
Le Vendredi, 19 sep 2003, à 11:25 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a
écrit :

> ...Now to the docs:
> Yes, looking back it was a very stupid idea to reorganize the docs. I
> didn't thought about links pointing to the old docs. I'm very sorry
> for that!

I don't think it was a stupid idea - after so much talk on how to
organize the docs, your were the one to jump in and actually do
something.
Maybe using a CVS branch for this would have been better, but IMHO the
docs beg to be reorganized.

> ...then I decided to just rearrange everything and commit it
> if noone is against it (that's why I asked on the list before)....

Doing, not talking. I like it ;-)
Only those who do nothing don't make mistakes.

> ...What do to if you move a document?...

We had some talks on the docs list [1], David Crossley has some
interesting ideas in [2] ("special generator").

I think any static way of redirecting from old to new docs will fail,
as people will be too lazy to handle it properly.
Even without a dynamic Cocoon instance to serve the website, it would
be possible to generate redirect pages or .htaccess files from the
registry suggested by David.

> ...If you all want, I could try to reinstantiate the old doc structure,
> this will take some days, but it's possible....

I don't want it, I think some disruption is needed to make the docs
happen.
But if people want it, maybe you could reinstate the last released CVS
version of the docs and put your new stuff in a branch?

Maybe it would be good to have a talk about the docs at the GT?
I find it a pain to write and organize docs with the current xdocs
system, there has to be a better way.
We need to find a middle ground between the ease of the wiki and the
accountability of the CVS xdocs.

-Bertrand

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=106274913021712&w=2