cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future build (was RE: [Vote] Releasing 2.1.1)
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:33:44 GMT

On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 08:27 Europe/Rome, Jeff Ramsdale wrote:

>>> I expect the average new Cocoon user is also a Windows user
>> (though I could be wrong). So why are the snapshots not in .zip
>> format?
>>>

>> FYI: WinZip supports tar.gz files just fine.
>
> That may be (and I suspected as much), but WinZip would be another
> download
> for a user who just wants to try out Cocoon. Also, Windows at some
> point
> (ME?) picked up the ability to unzip files natively so many users will
> think
> since they can deal with .zip files with no problem that the lack of a
> .zip
> file on the Cocoon site is a slight (intentional or otherwise). ME's
> .zip
> handling does not extend to tar.gz files.

Jeff,

a cocoon user that is not able to unpack a tar.gz file is going to
create more problems to this list than it would ever be able to
contribute.

sorry to appear cynical and racist, but that's the dry truth.

community filtering is a feature, not a bug of community engineering: a
community has a finite amount of energy to give into a user's question
and if the signal/noise ratio degrades, people go away.

this is one of the cases where too much usability too soon hurts rather
than helps.

the bar shouldn't bee raised too high, but it shouldn't be put too low
either. we want quality of feedback, not quantity.

world domination requires patience ;-)

--
Stefano.