cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:15:00 GMT

On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 17:27 Europe/Rome, Bertrand Delacretaz
wrote:

> Le Mardi, 23 sep 2003, à 16:31 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
> écrit :
>> ...The system I outlined above seems really nice, but, IMO, has a few
>> serious drawbacks:
>>
>>  1) it requires a central authorithy of certification
>>  2) it creates an incredible amount of friction..
>
> Right. Nightmares in the making ;-)

exactly

>> ...I propose a much simpler scheme. A block can be:
>>
>>  1) certified
>>  2) not certified
>>
>> A certified block is said to be guaranteed by the certifier (not only
>> the Apache Cocoon project, but any organization willing to certify
>> their blocks) that this block is usable in production and will be
>> maintained in the future.
>>
>> In short, it's safe.
>
> Sounds good - it might be hard to decide whether to certify some of
> the current blocks which are simple but depend on external libraries
> on which the Cocoon team has no control, though.

Certification, more than anything is a stamp on "trust".

When installing something, the question a user poses wants answered:
can I trust this? can I build my software on this?

Certification provides an answer to this simple (yet vital!) question,
expecially in an environment where, potentially, *TONS* of blocks,
written by all sorts of companies, will come into existance.

A certified block will not be bugfree (no software can be!) but we
guarantee that is supported, which means that we'll continue to
maintain and improve on that functionality, which we consider important
enough to support it officially.

A certified block is a block that is here today and is guaranteed to be
evolved tomorrow.

Any other block is here today, but might not evolve at all tomorrow.

It is a statement about community dynamics.

We will make the blocks officially supported, "certified", only when
the cocoon development community feels this is good to do and it's
*safe* from a community management perspective.

Certification says nothing else.

> But this is way better than the current status anyway.

Yep

--
Stefano.