cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:44:05 GMT

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> From: Stefano Mazzocchi
>
>> On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 22:38 Europe/Rome, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I would highly recommend steering away from the use of the word
>>> certified
>>> unless you intend to establish a standards body to oversee
>> an official
>>> certification process.
>>
>> Good point. "Supported" sounds less marketing intrusive.
>>
>> comments?
>
> What happens if we find out that a certain block is not supported any
> more (technology outdated, we have a better block, any active
> developers) *after* we marked it as supported. The first question I had
> was "how long does supported mean"? The former proposed *certified*
> relates to a certain point of time without saying something about the
> future.

Then we would vote to deprecate the block?

> Another point is that Cocoon is open source and nobody can be forced to
> support a single line of code ...
>
> Maybe we can find a word that relates to a point of time and does not
> have all the meanings "certified" has (see Berin's mail
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106434951718170&w=2)

'candidate'
        - a block that has support in the 'community', but is not
considered production-ready
'supported'
        - a production-ready block, that has community-support, was once
a 'candidate'
'deprecated'
        - was once 'supported', but for some reason is no longer,
           probably either for technological or community reasons

regards Jeremy