cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steve K <sh...@mm.st>
Subject Re: Unit testing pipelines?
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:51:36 GMT
Upayavira --

> So, a UnitTestingPipeline in combination with extensions to the CLI/Bean
> to be able to configure this pipeline, wouldn't be too hard to
> implement. Are you interested?

That is an angle I had not considered -- it does provide a flexible way
to test not only the end result, but also the intermediate steps of a
pipeline.  My only concern would be that using a different pipeline may
taint the testing process as you wouldn't use the UnitTestingPipeline in
a live application.

When I was first thinking about this, I was imagining testing short
internal-only pipelines -- the types of pipelines that would be
aggregated in other pipelines.  For example, just testing the result of
a FileGenerator + SQLTransformer pipeline.  In contrast, testing the
result of complete pipelines seems best handled by existing tools such
as HTTPUnit, Cactus, or the anteater scripts that Vadim pointed out to me.

Since I'm still a few days away from actually writing pipelines for my
application, it is hard for me to say which style of testing would be
most useful.  I plan on isolating all my logic in flow (that calls other
components) and using the pipelines strictly for gathering xml and
transforming it for display.

Do you feel the CocoonBean could be modified to grab the output from the
short, internal only type pipelines that I described?  I imagine I'd
have to expose those internal pipelines to the outside somehow...
perhaps your solution would be the easiest.  Maybe when I reach the
point where I need something I'll to cobble together a UnitTestingPipeline.

cheers,
-steve