cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Build infrastructure
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:12:25 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> I think it is better to save our efforts by using any of the projects
>> related to this tasks. The idea, is to have a better project management
>> with less effort than we currently have with Ant. Is that right?
>

> Correct.
>
> I strongly think that moving to Maven now will be a major and
> unnecessary disruption in our development process, and I don't want to
> see it.
>
> As I said, it's quite easy to have almost all that Maven provides by
> using other stuff.
>
> What do we want from Maven?
>
> 1 - jar downloads: use Ruper or Ant <get>
> 2 - generic targets? Heck, we already have them.
> 3 - what else? Don't tell me activity reports, because it's an
>     Ant task that Maven simply uses.
>
> Let's not go into a massive build-system change that will make it even
> harder to sense what's happening, and lay out what we need.
>
> NOTE: I'm the original Centipede author, so yes, I'm definately baised

Once it is set up it works.  It can be set up in parallel to the existing
build system--so impact for the migration only really happens after all
the bugs have been worked out.  I am not an author for either Centipede
or Maven, just someone who has used Maven and had it satisfy my needs.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin