cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steve K <sh...@mm.st>
Subject Unit testing pipelines?
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:33:48 GMT
Hello everyone --

I am currently building a Cocoon application and so far I've extended
the ExcaliburTestCase class to write my JUnit tests for the components
I'm creating.  However, I'm now at the point where I am starting to
write pipelines that generate XML based on the database manipulations
the previously mentioned components perform, and it appears that there
is no easy way to test these.  For example, my ideal test code might
look like:

myCustomComponent.doSomething();
Document actualXml = cocoon.process("/path/to/my/pipeline");
Diff diff = new Diff(actualXml, expectedXml);
assertTrue("pipeline test", diff.identical());

I suppose I could use something like HTTPUnit here, and set up a test
script to start cocoon, request the uri and parse the result into XML...
  but that seems a little messier than it should be.

I've looked at the CocoonBean stuff, and while it is close, it seems
geared toward publishing pages rather than embedding cocoon and directly
calling pipelines.

Does this sound like a good idea, or is everyone just using HTTPUnit for
this level of testing?  Might it be possible to modify CocoonBean to
allow direct access to the result of calling a pipeline?  Does anyone
think unit testing pipelines this way is actually valuable?

thanks for any advice,
-steve