cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:36:13 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Geoff Howard wrote:

>>> this is a good point.
>>
>> JMHO but I hated this feature of maven in trying to get avalon built
>> before I got broadband at home.  I downloaded all night and started to
>> build and it had to download a significant amount of new stuff.  If we
>> do this, I'd still want to provide an "everything you need" option for
>> download.
>
> Do bear in mind that Maven downloads a number of things itself the first
> time you use it.  Avalon (Framework) has very few dependencies itself

Point taken (though I may have been building something else from avalon*
and not the framework proper).

I have to admit that my perspective is tainted by my general feeling
that too much bleeding edge can be bad from a marketing/evaluating
perspective for a project that is trying to transition from "promising
but early" to a more mature status (which is how I think a lot of people
see Cocoon).

However, when we can resume binary dists again in 2.2 our build system
will not affect that issue nearly as much and I'd be game to try
anything new.

Geoff

PS (are you flooded out?)