cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:17:08 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>   - have multiple sub project in the repository which will be build all
>>     the same way with only one project.xml descriptor for name, version,
>>     etc. per sub project (this is Maven specific).
>

> hmmmm
>
> I would strongly suggest to wait to refactor the build system until we
> are finished implementing the block architecture.... let's work
> incrementally.
>
> At that point, we'll see what we can improve on what we have.

Ok.  But without getting into modularizing the Core of Cocoon, we already
have blocks.  The Maven/Centipede style build system will make managing
those independant blocks (which are already separated) really easy.  Just
my two cents.

As impirical evidence:

Avalon Excalibur

We tried to have a unified build system with ANT, and all excalibur projects
re-using part of the central build file, etc.  NIGHTMARE CITY.

Contrast that with the parts that were ported over to use Maven, or the GUIApp
project (http://d-haven.org).  A world of difference.  No longer is there any
question about what is needed where.  No longer is there a need to have JARs
locally in the repository.  No longer is there a need to have a 13 MB download
for a full distributable.  Not to mention, it makes it easier to find out what
exactly is a dependency and what is dead weight.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin