cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Event handling in Woody
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:44:29 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A short post to say that I've been working intensively on event handling
> on Woody since yesterday. I'm nearly finished with it, and obtained
> something powerful-yet-simple, that allows to define event handlers on
> actions (ActionEvent) and fields (ValueChangeEvent). The goal is also to

yoohoo!, looking forward.
in fact I thought about this from the start, but failed to explain to
myself how it should look like (I also kept on mixing it up with
client-side javascript)

care to textualize some preview on what goes about before we see the code?

also this links back to another wild idea I'm having
I'm still not quite satisfied with the way the repeater-binding (the not
simple one) needs to operate for detecting new/deleted/syill-existing
rows in the repeater...

So I hope the way you handle valuechanged can give some inspiration on
how to mark the changed state of repeater rows?

BTW: I assume that the ValueChangedEvent is holding both the old and new
value?

> allow event listeners to be written both in Java (classic-style) and in
> JavaScript (flowscript-style).

Makes sense.

I guess reusing the awt eventhandling interfaces is out of the question?
Not that I would consider it as a breaking design point to start using
it, but yesterday someone showed me usage of jbeaver (see at
http://www.ratundtat.com/index01.htm?menue=40, it's not oss but it
didn't look entirely impossible to create something similar.) and I
couldn't help dreaming about a common GUI description language that
could result into both Swing and Woody based apps...

 From that angle: being able to share your event-controllers might make
sense (although wrapping them inside specific listener interfaces should
not be that hard)

> This morning, I was reading an article about JavaServerFaces (never did
> look at it before), digged a bit, and discovered that what I was doing
> was very close to JSF event handling, and grabbed some interesting
> points. Digged further, and found the lifecycle thing very interesting,
> and once again close to the way Woody handles form processing. Parts of
> the JSF are not so bad and can be a good inspiration source ;-)

I remember that Bruno had a look into the specs (and of the XForms) when
in the pre-woody phase (when the codename was still yaff) of trying to
nail down some initial design and try outs

that together with the fact that we try to solve the same issues
porbably accounts for some 'similarities'

I heard some good things about ASP.NET as well, and I remember Carsten's
  Dywel effort is inspired by his experience with webobjects: there
really is more inspiration out ther and I'm hoping some of this
inspiration will come together on the Hackathon-day
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=GT2003Hackathon
(suggestion: you (and Bruno) should ad yourself as an intro-speaker on
the topic, no?)

> Once this infrastructure is in place, I plan to write specialized
> repeater-actions that automatically handle add/delete row in repeaters.
>
> More soon...

keep going :-)

-marc=