cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: on better release and version management
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:39:54 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

<snip type="happy agreement"/>

> I tried to address this issue several times in the last weeks, well,
> without much success.
> One thing I want to stress again: *if* we would make a new repository
> for 2.2 and duplicate all code, this would include the blocks as well.
> So we would not only end up with the two versions to maintain for the core
> but for each and every block as well!
> And this makes imho no sense. It's ok for the core, if we say 2.1 is only
> bug-fixing from now on. But it makes absolutely no sense for blocks.
> I think the development of blocks should be independent from the
> development of the core. With duplicating the code we loose this.
>
> So, whatever we decide, I'm -1 on duplicating the block code.

My problem with the blocks code is that reusing the 2.1 blocks code
would force people to make blocks upwards-compatible, slowing down
transitioning between old- and new-style blocks.

During the Hackathon on the 6th, I will be busy with GT preparations, so
I won't be able to participate much with the discussions. :-( Anyway,
please be assured that Bruno and I discussed the aspect of compatibility
at length, and IIRC Bruno has been jotting down notes for this
bound-to-be-happening IRL discussion. I don't think that we can 1)
require 2.2 compatibility by all blocks, since some of them are only
worked on by a few people, and 2) we should hinder progress on 2.2
blocks by requiring them to be stuck in the 2.1 repository. I know that
we will try and do our best to keep the 2.1 version of Woody in a sane
state after 2.2 development starts, most probably also backporting new
things that happen along the 2.2 'branch'. Still, we want a freeway for
2.2 development, should the need arise.

Does that help? Or do I misunderstand your view on this matter?

(me being happy to at least being able to contribute _something_ this days)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org