cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: What is a suri?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:10:26 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> In the CLI code, there is a variable called suri. I've never been able
> to work out what its name means, and thus what its purpose is. Can
> anyone explain?
>
> Also, there are points in the code where a URI is deparameterized and
> then reparameterized. What is the point in this?

Say you have two URIs:
   http://host/app/page?a=1&b=2
   http://host/app/page?b=2&a=1

These two URIs identify the same resource. But due to difference in
parameter ordering these URIs are different. Without converting these
URIs to "canonical" form, Cocoon CLI will generate this resource twice.
If you scale this simple example from two resources up to thousand(s),
and from two parameters to dozen, you'll get to a situation where wget
will do it's work but Cocoon CLI will never finish.

So, you can think of "suri" as "Standardized URI", or "'canonical' URI".

Vadim