cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject on better release and version management
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:38:38 GMT
Hi folks,

forgive me for putting on my BOFH hat, while making the following
observations...

1) We suck at freezing and stabilizing the codebase prior to releases.

I would suggest that, from now on, the Release Manager puts forward a
release date after discussion on the dev list, and that there's a
two-day (!) freeze period where only glaring bugs can be fixed after a
vote (!) on the list.

The Release Manager him/herself is also only allowed to commit obvious
version number changes and all that during this two-day "Sperr-zone".

During the past few releases, there was a flurry of quick fixes and
commits happening just hours before Carsten made the tarball, and while
I'm not immediately aware of any nasty side-effects caused by this, it
sure doesn't look like there was time for any peer review on these late
commits, neither did it look organized at all.

2) We need to break from the impasse of 2.1.1 vs 2.2

I suggested yesterday night that the reshuffling of docs that Carsten
started really seems more apt for a 2.2 release. Also, the switch to
Fortress and Real Blocks are destined towards that 2.2 release. I
understand some Avalon peeps are glad to dive in and help us with that,
which is great, but we should facilitate them.

Some people want to start with a 2.2 CVS module right away, others seem
more relunctant and want the HEAD of 2.1 to evolve into 2.2. We need to
decide on this, since it's blocking progress.

My personal opinion is that 2.2 might warrant its own module, but we
need to discuss its structure and coexistence with old-style blocks code
in more depth before we ask for its creation to the infrastructure peeps.

3) Given the breakage in the Rhino stuff, and the lack of serious
testing on the 2.1.1 release, I would refrain from announcing 2.1.1 (not
retracting it, though) and go for a new target release date for 2.1.2 on
September 24th. That way, we can discuss at leisure what we are going to
do with the docs-reshuffling, and people can spend more time on testing
new stuff.

Please comment!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org