cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: New protocol for in-memory resources
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:51:27 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Tuomo L wrote:
>>> It would be convinient,
>>> if one could use a protocolthat defines a source (FilePart) located
>>> in memory.
>>> This could be for example: "multipart://" . Then it would
>>> be possible to extract that in-memory zip-file to the target-dir.
>>> Is this possible already, or am I going to wrong direction here?
> You know that you can access files inside zip using jar: protocol, right?

Yeah, but the jar: protocol needs a JDK URL to designate the archive
file. We need a fancier "jar" source that would allow us to use sources
instead, e.g. "jar:context://!/data.txt".

... or even "jar:cocoon:/!/data.txt" ;-)

>> This is not possible today, but really is the right direction, and
>> would be a valuable addition.
> Wouldn't it be too much strain on system's resources (read: memory) in
> production environment (with the exception of light uses like
> departamental server) to render this feature useless? I agree though
> that it might be actually convinient.
> Just wondering, ;-)

I agree that uploading in memory may not be the right choice. When we'll
have environment-adapters as proposed by Stefano, the choice of in
memory/in temp file will be up to the sitemap writer. What's really
interesting though, is to be able to access uploaded "files" (either
real or in memory) using a Source.

> PS Do we have TraversableInspectableRestrictableZipSource?

You forgot that we can write in an archive :
TraversableModifiableInspectableRestrictableZipSource ;-D

Orixo, the opensource XML business alliance  -

View raw message