cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Flow and map:handle-errors
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:32:40 GMT
Timothy Larson wrote:

>If I request a page where the pipeline encounters an error (e.g. file not found) then
the handle-errors pipeline is invoked. However, when I request the same page from the flow
with cocoon.sendPageAndWait("somepage"); the handle-errors pipeline is not invoked and no
exception is thrown either.

>Can anyone else confirm this?

Error-handlers are not invoked on internal requests, which is what the
flow uses behind sendPage[AndWait](). In that case, the exception are
propagated.

Internal requests are created in 2 circumstances :
- use of SitemapSource: SourceResolver.resolveURI("cocoon:/blah")
- use of internal redirects: <map:redirect-to uri="cocoon:/blah"/> or
Redirector.redirect("cocoon:/blah")

The flow uses an internal redirect to handle an external request. This
means that the propagated exception is only catched by the top-level
Cocoon object which outputs the default error page (if configured to do
so). So we can say that the behaviour of not executing error handlers
for internal requests is not suitable for internal redirects.

There are 2 solutions to solve this :
1/ apply the same policy for internal redirects than the one that was
active before the redirect (i.e. handle errors on internal redirects
resulting from external requests)
2/ let the user choose the behaviour through the a new attribute such as
handle-internal="true" on <handle-errors>.

Thinking further, these 2 solutions are complementary if we consider
that 2/ applies only to internal requests produced by the SitemapSource.

What do you think ?

Sylvain