cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Implementing Cocoon Blocks
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:14:37 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 04:57, Geoff Howard wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>But this brings up another point - what to do if the wiring.xml and
>>others is deleted?  Presumably, all blocks are "uninstalled" in this
>>state, but what does this do to persistence requirements.
>>
>>Also, how to recreate the deploy step efficiently?  For example:
>>
>>You deploy a block with some dependencies and configuration.  The block
>>deploy process walks you through setting configs and resolving
>>dependencies.  You then have no record of these deployment choices
>>except in wiring.xml which is not meant for human consumption.  Perhaps
>>it would be good to record these human-step deployment time
>>configurations in a conf file which could be easily reprocessed to
>>easily re-deploy all blocks to their last configuration.
>

> I think the conf file you're speaking of here is simply the wiring.xml
> file itself? Remember, the block deployer has read-write access to this
> file, so it can first read the existing information, then let the
> administrator modify it, and then write it back. It's not like each time
> you want to modify the configuration of one block you'll have to
> re-enter all the parameters for other blocks as well.

Ugh, I see now that I didn't explain well the scenario I was thinking of
and now can't remember!  IIRC I was trying to think through the process
of replication and/or staging.  In this case, would I copy over
wiring.xml and all blocks directories? (presumably)  But, what if some
of the deploy-time configurations need to change on the way?  For
instance, on a staging server, you use a different database.  So, I was
just trying to get a picture in my head of how that would work and what
the pitfalls were.

Geoff