cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Woody : advanced form layout
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:12:43 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 18:56, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I added some new fancy features to the Woody layout : you can now define widget groups
which provide automatic layout of their content. Various layouts have been defined, including
two-column layout, fieldset frames and even tab groups ! I also added a calendar popup.

>>All this allows to quickly set up sophisticated form layouts by just structuring fields
in groups and driving the rendering through a few attributes. Final aspect is driven by a
CSS (this point still needs more work though).

>>Check out the Woody "form1" sample and tell me what you think ;-)
>>

>First impression: I think it's cool and useful stuff ;-)

Very useful : I already use it on my current project ;-)

>I only had a quick look, but it seems all very nicely done. So now we got some instance-only
widgets (wi:group). Nice idea that I've never thought of before.

Yep. These are instance-only since there is no transformation to do on
them, but they use the same markup as template-generated widgets.

I'm also thinking about "controller widgets" for these groups. The
current tab layout uses a widget to store its state (which tab is
currently selected). But I'm also thinking to extend this concept to
other use cases (which I do have) where the contents of a group is
driven by the value of a dropdown lis (e.g. fonts preference dialog in
Mozilla).

I'm also learning CSS-driven layout which is really powerful and can
make these layout stylesheets really reusable in real-world websites.

>BTW, I think you missed my rename of the "button" widget to "action". Or maybe you didn't
update your sourcetree because you're preparing lots of other things :-)

No, I have (currently!) no pending changes in the Java source, and I
missed the update because working in the samples mean working in
build/webapp and then copy back to src. That makes development not easy
and I'm more and more thinking about having a smart (or hacky)
development sitemap that directly mounts sample sitemaps from the source
tree.

Sylvain