cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hochsteger <e9625...@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1 Authentication Bug? *Please* Help
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:42:39 GMT
Hi Sylvain!

Sylvain.Thevoz@swisscom.com wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> This is very interesting!
>
> But I'm not sure to understand:

First, I have to explain something about our background to let you
better understand what we do and why. This way it might be easier for
you to decide, whether this applies to you or not.

Background
----------
We are an automobile club from Austria driving two main websites and
several intra- and extranet websites. We have about 2500 employees and
1.5 million club members.
We want our users (which are actually non-members, members and
employees) to be able to register at our website and take advantage of
different services.

We are just starting some major refactoring of the web architecture
where Cocoon is playing a big role.

Terminology
-----------
In our terminology we use the term 'group' to classify our users
(independent of any application) and not directly to assign them certain
roles. A 'role' is for us only defined for a certain application (e.g.
CMS: admin, editor, chief editor, ...). So it is not enough to say that
user a has the role 'admin'. You have to say user a (which is from the
group 'employee') has the role 'admin' in the application 'CMS'.
This way a group is independent from any applications.

Organization of groups
----------------------
Our groups are organized this way, that every group is a subset of
another group (see LDAP layout in my last mail below). So the super
group is called 'simple user' which have the following attributes
entered during registration:
* username
* password
* email address

The bigest subset of the simple users are called the 'extended users',
which provide the following attributes additional to those from above:
* street
* zip code
* city
* country

The biggest subset of the extended users are the 'members', which
provide a member number during the registration on the webpage. Since we
already have their personal information available in backend systems, we
just need to identify them but they don't have to enter all the data
again. They have the following additional attribute:
* member number

The last subset of the members are now the 'employees' which are
automatically club members. They don't have to register at all, since
they are already managed by an Active Directory internally. They have
the following additional attribute:
* employee number

Data Storage
------------
To be able to handle all of these users in the same way we use on LDAP
system (OpenLDAP) for just the authentication (user/password) and
autorization (roles) information and a MySQL database for all the
additional user attributes (postal address, phone number, ...). The
MySQL database is a replica of our internal customer database with just
the information we need. It will hold all users. The LDAP entries will
be created only during registration to be able to get validated email
addresses via activation URLs. Employees are automatically registered,
since their authentication information is replicated from the Active
Directory.

Authentication
--------------
This is just done against LDAP via standard mechanisms. We might use the
authentication framework of cocoon for this task.
This way we can allow single sign-on across several applications.

Authorization
-------------
To know if a certain user is allowed to do a certain task in a certain
application we do the following:
Every group has some default roles attached, where the roles are
inherited across the groups the same way it is done with the attributs
from the explanation of above (Organization of groups). This will be
held in the LDAP attribute 'groupOfUniqueNames'.
If certain users have additional roles in certain applications they have
the additional role stored in the attribute with the same name.
It still has to be decided how to manage and refer to the different
roles, which can have similar names in different applications (e.g.
admin of app A vs. admin of app B).

> Is your organization tree stored in a LDAP repository?
Our user group hierarchy, yes.
Not (yet) the internal structure of our organization.

> Your four groups of users are similar to roles?
Only indirectly as the explanation above tells you.

> You store the role information inside the InetOrgPerson class. Is it a persistence class?
In LDAP terminology you have different classes of things.
One is the class 'Person' from which 'inetOrgPerson' inherits (has
certain internet attributes like email available). These classes don't
have to do anything with Java classes. They just share the same concepts
and terminology.

I've compiled a number of helpful LDAP resources on my weblog which can
be found here:
http://highstick.blogspot.com/2003_08_01_highstick_archive.html#106015179296211197
Especially this one explains it very well (you will have to click through):
http://ldap.akbkhome.com/objectclasstree/inetOrgPerson.html

> Where do you use Cocoon in your authentication process?
Via the use of the authentication framework which we might chose.

> Thanks for your help.
> Sylvain

I hope this helps you.

Bye,