cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate from the aging ECM
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:19:54 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Geoff Howard wrote:
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>>
>>> In Cocoon/ECM we have the following constructs:
>>>
>>> <regular-component>
>>>   <stuff/>
>>> </regular-component>
>>>
>>> <database-selector>
>>>   <jdbc name="foo"/>
>>>   <j2ee name="bar"/>
>>>   <informix name="baz"/>
>>> </database-selector>
>>
>> Without a .roles file would we even have declarations that look like
>> this?
>
> :)  That IS with the ECM roles file.

Sorry, snipped the wrong part - the examples which followed were what I
was looking at.

> However, with Fortress, you may be able to use a ROLEs file--but it
> won't be
> necessary.  The meta info is part of the class, so there is only one
> place you
> need to manage it (with the component implementation class).  The meta-info
> collection process will allow Fortress to automatically collect info
> from other
> JARs for the available components--which means there won't need to be
> any cludgy
> "user-roles" attributes any more.  Things just work.

Great - I think we're all looking forward to this.  I'm trying to get a
handle on upgrade path for current users.  Sounds like we could acheive
drop-in support for the old cocoon.xconf format complete with my.roles
etc. but could switch the default cocoon.xconf (or whatever it would be
then called) to the newer format?

Geoff