cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate from the aging ECM
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:17:51 GMT
<beware of snips/>

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The above in Fortress would be redone as:
>
> <jdbc-datasource id="foo"/>
> <j2ee-datasource id="bar"/>

> In Fortress, you can do things the old ECM way, or you can incorporate
> the ID
> to get whichever component you want and bypass the selector completely
> like
> this:
>
> manager.lookup(DataSourceComponent.ROLE + "/foo");

> Lastly, a component that just wants whatever the default
> implementation for a
> component is only has to lookup the component it wants:
>
> manager.lookup(DataSourceComponent.ROLE);
>
> The default component is always the first one listed in the
> configuration file,
> unless that behavior is overridden.  You can override the behavior by
> adding a
> default="true" attribute to a component.  In the above example, the
> lookup for
> a DataSourceComponent.ROLE would return the "foo" variation.  If the
> "bar"
> variation was altered like this:
>
> <j2ee-datasource id="bar" default="true"/>

Either I'm having a serious deja-vu here, or this is really similar to
whatever we had ages ago in avalon 3.0a3 (see NamedComponentManager)!
Which is good, I still have someone running on avalon 3.0 - it will make
migration easier...

> The way I propose working around it for the short term--to avoid the
> configuration reformatting

If we to start migration to Fortress in 2.2..... I don't see a need in
avoiding this reformatting. If we do it in 2.1.2, then yes, we should
support old config syntax.

Vadim