cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Releasing 2.1.1
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:36:39 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> From: Carsten Ziegeler
> 
>>Im really tired of discussing this (it's not your fault, Reinhard).
>>
>>I suggested again and again to start a new repository for 2.2 
>>(which is equivalent to starting a 2.2 branch - or a 2.1.x 
>>branch), but I always got the reply "let's see if we really 
>>need 2.2, let's stick to 2.1 for now." Now, only 5 days later 
>>people ask for it. So, if someone feels that our current 
>>approach is wrong, start a new thread; I will not do it. BTW, 
>>each release is tagged and we can always create a 
>>maintainance branch afterwards - but that wouldn't be the way 
>>we decided to use the cvs months ago...
> 
> IMO we should be able to release 2.1.x version in the future. Mabe I'm a
> bit afraid of the changes (blocks, fortress, virtual sitemap components)
> and how long it takes us to release stable versions of Cocoon (not beta,
> not milestone or something else) again if we don't branch or fork our
> repository.
> 
> I think so many people (of course including me) were waiting for 2.1 and
> I really want to use it for some time in production without doing
> alpha/beta testing of 2.2 and I like to have "support" of bugfix
> releases of 2.1 (see the security holes Sylvain fixed recently, maybe we
> can release a stable Cocoon Forms, ...).
> 
> Am I (and Carsten) alone with this opinions?

No, I agree too.  I think the move to Fortress makes a 2.2 repo wise. 
Berin is optimistic about the chances of mitigating problems with the 
transition, and I trust in that.  But it is IMHO a significant enough 
architectural change which can/will have un-forseen consequences across 
the user-base.

If we don't, we risk putting people in a Microsoft-like situation: in 
order to upgrade to fix bug A they need to accept bug B introduced in 
the new version.

Exactly how that's achieved is less important.  Of the less than optimal 
options, I think a 2.2 repo is the best bet.

Geoff


Mime
View raw message